Blown engine cars for sale. Cars for sale by personal owners. Car sales for november 2011.
Blown Engine Cars For Sale
- blown engine
- An engine which has suffered some internal damage and will need extensive repair or replacement.
- 1. An engine that has failed completely. 2. A supercharged engine.
- for sale
- For Sale is the fifth album by German pop band Fool's Garden, released in 2000.
- For Sale is a tour EP by Say Anything. It contains 3 songs from …Is a Real Boy and 2 additional b-sides that were left off the album.
- purchasable: available for purchase; "purchasable goods"; "many houses in the area are for sale"
- (car) the compartment that is suspended from an airship and that carries personnel and the cargo and the power plant
- (car) a wheeled vehicle adapted to the rails of railroad; "three cars had jumped the rails"
- A vehicle that runs on rails, esp. a railroad <em>car</em>
- (car) a motor vehicle with four wheels; usually propelled by an internal combustion engine; "he needs a car to get to work"
- A railroad <em>car</em> of a specified kind
- A road vehicle, typically with four wheels, powered by an internal combustion engine and able to carry a small number of people
The Man: Earl Muntz
Earl "Madman" Muntz! The very name conjures up memories, for many, of one of the wildest and craziest entrepreneurs of the 20th century. First of the loud, nutso, in-your-face used car salesmen, in the 1940s his billboards blanketed Southern California screaming, "I wanna give ‘em away, but Mrs. Muntz won’t let me – SHE’S CRAZY!" and "I buy ‘em retail, sell ‘em wholesale – IT’S MORE FUN THAT WAY!" These billboards, plus a steady bombardment of radio ads, helped Muntz sell $76 million worth of automobiles in 1947, when a million dollars was real money. And his logo — a caricature of Muntz wearing a black Napoleon hat and red BVDs — seemed to be everywhere.
He produced and sold Muntz TVs, cheap but functional sets that competed successfully in the marketplace with RCA, Philco and other electronic giants of the time. And his TV business made him a second multimillion dollar fortune.
He produced the first American sports car — the Muntz Jet. A beautiful, well-crafted, speedy car that was a precursor of Chevrolet’s Corvette, the Muntz Jet was an aesthetic and mechanical success, but Muntz’s first financial disappointment. The Jets sold for $5,500 but they cost $6,500 to produce, and this at a time (the early 1950s) when a new Cadillac could be had for $3,200.
Earl Muntz’s third fortune came in the 1960s when he invented the four-track car stereo, becoming the first major player in the soon-to-be-huge car stereo market. His Muntz Stereo-Pak was a roaring success, and his "Madman" persona, already embedded in the nation’s consciousness over the previous 20 years, was omnipresent.
His marital history, in the meantime, hardly matched his succes in business. Muntz married seven times, each wife a beauty. One wife was the singer and actress Joan Barton, onetime costar to John Wayne. Another wife was Patricia Stevens, owner of the nationwide string of Patricia Stevens Finishing Schools. And, when not married, there were plenty of girlfriends. In later years, one of the most prominent was comedienne Phyllis Diller.
An outgoing and fun-loving guy, his many pals included singer Rudy Vallee, comedian Jerry Colonna, actor Bert Lahr, presidential son James Roosevelt, TV host Dick Clark and cowboy star Gene Autry.
A millionaire among movie stars. Pretty heady stuff for a high school dropout from the small town of Elgin, Illinois. Born in 1914, Earl Muntz was a born tinkerer. He built his first radio at the age of eight. By the age of 14, in 1928, he had built his own car radio, one of the first ever. And by age 20 he had his own used car lot, with his mother signing all the sales paperwork as Earl wasn’t yet of legal age to sign the deals himself.
Then, in 1941, Earl headed west and opened a used car lot in Glendale, California. He soon opened a second lot in downtown Los Angeles and, more importantly, met up with a young advertising whiz named Mike Shore. Muntz gave Shore a free hand to come up with whatever gimmicks Shore thought might sell cars. The deluge of billboards and radio commercials (as many as 170 a day!) that followed, all built around the "Madman" Muntz figure, resulted in Muntz soon becoming the largest-volume used car dealer in the world.
During World War II, with no new cars being manufactured, used cars were at a premium, especially on the west coast. So Muntz bought cars in the midwest at low prices and hired servicemen to drive them west where they sold for double what Muntz paid for them. The servicemen not only got a comfotable ride cross-country, but Muntz paid them $50 each. Everybody made out and thousands were delivered. And only once did a car disappear in transit. But it was recovered a year later and was sold for twice as much as it would have brought if delivered on time!
Muntz himself loved the open road and would often drive cars from Chicago to Los Angeles himself. And, in that era before freeways, when Route 66 went through every town, he prided himself on regularly making the run in a mere 33 hours, faster than the Santa Fe Chief passenger train!
Bob Hope, Jack Benny, Red Skelton and other radio comedians of the era seemed to compete to see who could come up with more "Madman" Muntz jokes. And each joke, of course, made Muntz more famous, which brought him more business, which made him richer and richer. By 1945, Gray Line bus tours, after visiting the Hollywood sign and Grauman’s Chinese Theater, would stop by Muntz’s sprawling used car lot. A household name, he had become one of L.A.’s major tourist attractions!
Then came the TV years. Muntz thought the television sets on the market at the time were far too complicated, so he experimented by buying an existing set, disassembling it, then removing parts
The Johnny Lightning "1970 Plymouth Cuda" debuted as casting #490 in the year 2000. The model pictured is the 2010 "The Spoilers" edition, with a blown HEMI 426 engine.
About the 1970 Plymouth Barracuda
1970 was the first year of production for the third generation of Plymouth Barracudas. The redesign for the 1970 Barracuda removed all its previous commonality with the Valiant. The original fastback design was deleted from the line and the Barracuda now consisted of coupe and convertible models. The all-new model, styled by John E. Herlitz, was built on a shorter, wider version of Chrysler’s existing B platform, called the E-body. Sharing this platform was also the newly launched Dodge Challenger; however, no sheet metal interchanged between the two cars, and the Challenger had a 2 in (51 mm) longer wheelbase. The 440 and HEMI-equipped cars received upgraded suspension components and structural reinforcements to help transfer the power to the road.
About the 426 HEMI Engine
During World War II, Chrysler developed its first experimental Hemispherical engine for use in the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt fighter aircraft. The XIV-2220 engine was an inverted V16 rated at 2,500 hp (1,860 kW). The P-47 was already in production with a Pratt & Whitney radial engine when the XIV-2220 flew successfully in trials in 1945 as a possible upgrade, but the war was winding down and it did not go into production. However, the exercise gave Chrysler engineers valuable research and development experience with two-valve hemi combustion chamber dynamics and parameters. Using their military experience with the hemispherical combustion chambers, Chrysler decided to use this layout in their first OHV V8 in 1951, introducing a 180 bhp (134.2 kW) Hemi V8 with a displacement of 331 cu in (5.4 L). The engine was not, however, marketed as a "Hemi". Each Chrysler division had its own unique version of the early Hemi engine, with different displacements and designations. As soon as this engine was introduced, Briggs Cunningham chose to use the Chrysler version in some of his race cars for international motor sports. A Chrysler-powered Cunningham C5-R won its class in 1953, and Team Cunningham automobiles using these engines finished as high as third place overall, at the 24 hours of Le Mans Grand Prix. Cunningham switched away from these designs in 1959 when Chrysler abandoned the hemispherical concept in favor of the wedge-head Chrysler B engine. The hemispherical head design was revived in 1964. These were the first engines officially designated HEMI, a name Chrysler trademarked. Chrysler HEMI engines of this generation displaced 426 cu in (7 L). Although just 11,000 Hemi engines were produced for consumer sale due to their relatively high cost and poor street-use reputation, the engine became legendary, with "HEMI" becoming one of the most familiar automobile-related words in the United States. The 426 Hemi was nicknamed the "elephant engine" at the time, a reference to its large dimensions and weight. Tipping the scales at a dry weight of 843 lb (382 kg), the 426 Hemi was considerably more massive than other engines of the era, such as the Ford 427 at 650 lb (290 kg) and the Chevrolet Big Block at 685 lb (311 kg). Even the modern iron block Dodge Truck V10 weighs less, at 836 lb (379 kg). Its 10.72 in (272.3 mm) deck height and 4.80 in (121.9 mm) bore spacing made it the biggest engine racing in NASCAR at the time.
Photo by Kevin Borland. Text derived from Wikipedia.